Perfect Steak Chili is everything you want in a bowl of hearty, comforting goodness. It’s loaded with meat, tomatoes, beans, aromatics, and all the amazing spices that make chili, chili.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When it’s cold outside and you just can’t get warm, what is more satisfying that cooking up a big pot of chili? Not just any chili, but a perfectly seasoned, thick and hearty chili with two types of meat, steak and ground beef. My husband is kind of particular when it comes to chili. He doesn’t like it too tomatoey, doesn’t like it thin and soupy (understandably), and he doesn’t like too many beans in it. There is a perfect meat-to-bean-to-tomato ratio that he thinks makes a great chili, and I’m honored to have made the cut with my Perfect Steak Chili.
Not only does this chili taste amazing with all the warm, earthy spices like smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and the requisite chili powder, but it has a perfect chili thickness and texture. This isn’t the drippy chili you pour on a chili dog, this is a chunky chili that you’re gonna want in a big bowl with cheese, sour cream, and all your other favorite toppings! Pair this with a batch of Jalapeno & Green Chile Spoon Bread, for a complete warm and cozy meal.
Topping ideas for Perfect Steak Chili: chopped white or yellow onion, fresh or pickled jalapeno slices, Fritos Corn Chips, sour cream, scallions, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, pickled onion slices, and crumbled bacon to name a few.
Looking for another belly warming soup? Try my eay Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. This satisfying soup is healthy, and tastes great. Plus, the slow cooker does all the work for you!
Flavorful Eats is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Better than Bouillon is a bouillon paste sold in a jar. It is the only bouillon I use in my soup recipes. The flavor it provides is just incomparable to the cubes or bouillon powders out there. You can get one here from Amazon.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¾ lb. sirloin steak, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes w/green chiles (don't drain juices)
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tbsp Better Than Bouillon (Roasted Beef flavor)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can kidney beans
- salt & pepper
- Add ground beef to a large pot, season with salt and pepper. Cook on med-high heat until browned, drain grease. Add steak seasoned with salt & pepper to the pot with ground beef, cook until browned. Add onion and dry seasonings (except for bay leaf). Cook for a minute or two until the onion has slightly softened, then add bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno. When veggies have softened a little, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stir in the bouillon until dissolved, then reduce heat to a simmer. Taste for needed salt and add your desired amount.. Add beans and simmer for 30-45 minutes.