Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is a hearty, healthy soup made with dried peas, carrots, onions, chicken stock, and ham hocks. It’s easy to make and sure to warm you up!
My mom and I are big soup eaters. She has been making me split pea soup since I was a little kid, and I have been making it for my family for years. I will admit, it’s not the prettiest bowl of food you’ll ever see (or the easiest to get kids to try), but this green soup is delicious! When I first made this recipe, neither one of my kids would even touch it. Now, one of my boys gets excited when he finds out we’re having it for dinner! Even my husband, who is not a “soup guy”, enjoys this soup.
Not only is this meal tasty, it’s comforting, easy to make, and healthy, too. Split peas are loaded with fiber and protein, and this recipe is chock full of vegetables. My mom usually makes hers on the stove, but I try to bust out the slow cooker any chance I get, so here is my version: Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. It’s so simple, anyone can do it!
Add dried peas, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and bay leaves to slow cooker. Isn’t it beautiful?
Then put the ham hocks on top.
Pour 4 of the 5 cups of chicken stock over the ham hocks and vegetables, and season with salt & pepper. Stir everything around and put the lid on. That’s it! How easy was that?
Cook for 4-5 hours on low and you will have this beautiful bowl of soup. If it’s too thick, add a little of the reserved stock. Serve it with a side salad or a loaf of crusty bread and you have a nutritious and delicious meal.
- I like to chop my veggies in relatively thick pieces so they don’t disintegrate in the soup.
- Ham hocks are a hit or a miss with meat. Some have tons of meat, some of them have barely any. I sometimes use 3 just in case, but they are usually sold in packages of 2.
- I have also made this with leftover Easter ham and chopped ham steaks. While you do get the meat, you don’t get that yummy smoky flavor ham hocks provide.
Looking for another warm bowl of goodness? Try my Perfect Steak Chili – it’s loaded with steak, ground beef, tomatoes, beans, and peppers. So satisfying!
- 1 lb. bag dried, split peas
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, thickly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 ham hocks
- 4-5 cup chicken stock (reserve 1 cup as needed)
- Salt & Pepper as needed
- Add peas, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Nestle ham hocks on top and pour 4 cups of chicken stock over everything. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and put the lid on.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- If soup seems too thick, add reserved chicken stock until desired texture is obtained.
- Remove ham hocks from slow cooker. When cool, remove meat and add back to soup in slow cooker.
- If needed, add salt & pepper and serve with a side salad or some crusty bread.