Upgrade your regular cornbread routine with Jalapeno & Green Chile Spoon Bread. This moist, flavorful bread is loaded with pickled jalapenos, green chiles, corn, and cheese – it’s the perfect accompaniment to a big bowl of chili!
Both spoon bread and cornbread are made with corn meal, but what makes spoon bread different is how incredibly moist it is. Some spoon breads have a texture that is puffy and fluffy like a souffle, and some are more wet like a pudding or casserole. My recipe is closer to cornbread, but extremely moist and with tons more flavor! No dry, crumbly cornbread here!
Even though it may sound spicy, Jalapeno & Green Chile Spoon Bread isn’t as hot as you would think. The sweet corn is a perfect match for the tang of the pickled jalapenos and mild, but flavorful green chiles. You get all the wonderful flavor of jalapeno, but baking it seems to take the heat out, as I found out with my Jalapeno Bacon Crustless Quiche recipe.
Simply layer the cornmeal batter with pickled jalapenos, canned green chiles, and cheese, then add a second layer of cornmeal batter, jalapenos, green chiles, and cheese, and bake in the oven. When it’s done, the inside will be cheesy, incredibly moist, and speckled with green pieces of jalapeno and green chile. There will be a delicious crispy, cheese “crust” on the top and along the edges of the spoon bread that make it irresistible from sampling right out of the oven. Simply cut it into squares from the baking dish and serve it with my Perfect Steak Chili, saucy Mexican dishes, or eat it all by itself…it’s just that good!
- 14.75oz. can cream style corn
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- hot sauce, couple dashes (optional)
- 4.5oz can diced green chiles
- ¼ cup chopped, pickled jalapenos
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- To make the batter, mix everything EXCEPT the green chiles, jalapenos, and cheese in a large bowl. Stir until fully combined. Pour half of the batter in a greased 9x9 glass baking dish. Sprinkle ½ of the green chiles over the top of the batter, following with ½ of the jalapenos. Top the green chiles and jalapenos with 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat the process again with remaining green chiles, jalapenos, and cheese. Bake for 45 minutes.