Crisp veggies, rotisserie chicken, pasta, and Asian flavors like soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds is what makes Asian Pasta Salad with Chicken a delicious, cold pasta that’s a great side dish or light lunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Who doesn’t love a cold pasta salad on a sweltering hot August day? To me, it just screams summer. It’s what people bring to picnics, serve at BBQ’s, and it’s what you order with your deli sandwich. Asian Pasta Salad with Chicken is great because it’s a pasta salad, which is a great summer side dish, but the addition of rotisserie chicken makes it a perfect meal for a light lunch, too.
Asian Pasta Salad with Chicken has great Oriental flavors like sesame, soy sauce, and ginger, and it gets a nice little kick from the sriracha. I love the crispness of veggies in my pasta salad, so I added some red bell pepper and asparagus to give it some texture. For some reason, my son asked, “Can I put this in the microwave and heat it up?” Umm…sure. I didn’t taste it warm (it’s August, remember), but he loved it that way! Something to think about if you’re wanting a warm lunch or dinner instead.
I admit there are a lot of ingredients in this recipe, but minus the fresh ginger and veggies, I already had the majority of them in my pantry. Buy rice vinegar once and it will last forever! Ok, maybe not forever, but a couple years!
This recipe makes a big batch, so if you’re making it for one or two people, you can scale it down; as is, it’s ready to be taken to a party!
If you’re looking for more cold side dishes, try these: Mediterranean Balela Salad is a fresh, healthy side with chick peas, tomato, lemon juice, and fresh parsley. Greek Chopped Vegetable Salad has cucumbers, red bell pepper, olives, pepperoncini, and of course, feta cheese.
Flavorful Eats is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- I like to use Napa Valley Naturals Organic Toasted Sesame Oil. It has the best toasted sesame flavor and it’s organic. You can get one here on Amazon.
- 16oz pasta
- 16 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- ½ tsp grated, fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced finely
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (plus extra for garnish)
- dash of white pepper
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken (or 3 cups of diced or shredded chicken breasts)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup green onions, sliced
- ⅓ cilantro leaves, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Cook pasta according to directions, when it has about 1 minute left until done, add the asparagus to the pot of cooking pasta. After 1 minute, drain the pasta and asparagus and refrigerate while you make the dressing.
- To make the dressing, add olive oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, ginger, garlic, sugar, sesame seeds and white pepper to a bowl and mix well until sugar has dissolved.
- When pasta and asparagus are fully cooled, add chicken, red bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, and dressing. Stir to combine and serve. Garnish with extra cilantro and sesame seeds if desired.