Mushroom Garlic Quinoa makes an amazing side dish or excellent vegetarian meal that’s loaded with tons of sauteed garlic, mushrooms, and healthy quinoa!
Since my family is trying to incorporate more plant-based foods into our diet, I’ve been experimenting with a whole bunch of new recipes. I feel like I’ve waded into a whole new territory of food!
I am pretty much obsessed with garlic. I use it in just about every single savory thing I make. I also adore mushrooms. I love their earthy flavor and hearty, meaty texture. They also soak up all the goodness you cook them with, which today is…garlic! Win-win-win. So, if you’re into mushrooms and garlic, you’re in luck as this recipe is chock-full of them.
Not only is Mushroom Garlic Quinoa delicious, it’s incredibly easy to make. It’s as simple as sauteing mushrooms and garlic, cooking quinoa on the stove, then combining them. Finish with a little bit of parsley and parmesan cheese and that’s it! If you can make rice, you can make quinoa!
I found some Organic Tri-Color Quinoa at Trader Joe’s, so that’s what I used for this photo. I think it looks prettier than white (golden) quinoa, and each color in the quinoa trio has a slightly different chewiness.
Looking for another tasty vegetarian meal? Spice it up with my Chickpea & Cauliflower Curry.
- Quinoa is gluten-free and a great source of protein and fiber
- This vegetarian dish can be made vegan by substituting water for chicken broth, olive oil for butter, and omitting the parmesan cheese.
- I think Mushroom Garlic Quinoa tastes best heated up, so I serve it warm
- Recipe adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. dried minced onion
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese
- Prepare quinoa in a sauce pan according to the package's instructions, adding dried minced onion, and using chicken broth for water.
- In a large pan, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter and season liberally with salt or garlic salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms have absorbed all the butter and are fully cooked through.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the mushroom/garlic pan, then add the fresh parsley and parmesan cheese. Combine. Taste for salt & pepper, season accordingly, then serve warm.