Change up boring chicken with Bacon-Wrapped Spinach & Goat Cheese Chicken Breasts. These full-of-flavor chicken breasts are stuffed with spinach, goat cheese, parmesan, and garlic and then wrapped in bacon. Yum!
I have been making iterations of Bacon-Wrapped Spinach & Goat Cheese Chicken Breasts for almost 13 years. I have experimented with both cream cheese and feta cheese, but I keep coming back to goat cheese. There’s something about the tangy, yet creamy flavor in goat cheese that makes it perfect for this recipe.
Let’s face it, bacon makes everything better. Hello, Jalapeno Bacon Swiss Cheese Ball! Plus, my husband and I don’t turn our heads to very many cheeses and we both love spinach, so this is a no-brainer for us. As for my kids, they LOVE bacon, so it makes it a lot easier to get them to eat spinach when it’s combined with cheese and surrounded by chicken and bacon!
To make Bacon-Wrapped Spinach & Goat Cheese Chicken Breasts, combine the filling (goat cheese, parmesan cheese, fresh garlic, and thawed, frozen spinach) in a bowl. Stuff butterflied chicken breasts with the delicious goat cheese filling and spread it around evenly. Brush a little mayo on the exterior of the chicken breasts. Wrap them with 2-3 slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks. Cook in oven and if desired, remove toothpicks and finish under the broiler to get the bacon extra crispy.
Serve with some Creamy Blue Cheese Mashed Red Potatoes and a green salad with Dijon Chive Vinaigrette. In fact, the vinaigrette is so good, I like to drizzle it over my chicken or use it as a dipping sauce!
- Goat cheese isn’t for everyone. Feel free to substitute with cream cheese for a more mild alternative.
- It might sound weird spreading mayo on the chicken before wrapping it in bacon, but it helps keep the chicken moist!
- I like to bake the chicken on a wire rack so the bacon on the bottom of the chicken doesn’t get soggy.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz. goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2-3 tbsp mayo
- 8-12 slices of bacon
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- Create pockets in the chicken for stuffing by slicing the chicken breast down the side and as far back as you can without cutting through the other side.
- In a medium bowl, combine the goat cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic, spinach and your desired amount of salt & pepper. Spoon the goat cheese mixture into each chicken breast and spread around evenly.
- Brush mayo on the exterior of each chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Wrap bacon around chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. Season wrapped chicken breasts with some more pepper. Bake for an hour (on a wire rack with a baking sheet under it) or when the chicken is no longer pink. If you want crisper bacon, remove toothpicks and place under the broiler for a minute or two.