Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken is your answer to an easy, delicious, Mexican meal that can be customized exactly how you want it. Whether it’s tacos or burritos you’re in the mood for, this chicken is the perfect base for all your Mexican cravings.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken starts out with chicken breasts, canned tomatoes, green chiles, onion, and some fragrant spices like smoked paprika, chile powder, and cumin…all stewing together in the slow cooker for about 4 hours.
Then the chicken gets shredded and plopped back in the cooking liquid to soak up all the delicious spices and juicy goodness that it’s been simmering in, all while creating unbelievable aromas throughout your home.
Take this juicy, flavorful chicken and make whatever you want with it! Tacos? Check. Burritos? Check. Enchiladas? Check. Then there’s my personal favorite way to use this chicken – a Burrito Bowl. When I make Fajita Burrito Bowls at home, I put some of The Best Mexican Rice at the bottom of my plate, top it with some of this delicious Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken, then I add all my favorite toppings. If you haven’t tried my recipe for Easy Homemade Salsa, you must make it and put it on your burrito bowl, thank me later.
The sky is the limit in the toppings department: Smoky Slow Cooker Mexican Black Beans, sour cream, chopped lettuce, olives, guacamole, tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, pickled jalapeno slices, shredded cheddar or freshly grated cotija cheese. You get the idea. Make it your own. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2½ tbsp. cumin
- 1½ tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ tbsp. paprika
- ½ tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4.5oz) can diced green chiles
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with onion, jalapeno, and spices. Pour the tomatoes and green chiles on top. Mix everything to distribute the seasonings throughout. Cook on "low" for 4 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken breasts from slow cooker and transfer to a plate. Shred chicken, then place it back in the slow cooker with all the cooking liquids. Add cilantro and combine. Use meat to make your favorite Mexican dishes.