Slow Cooker Chicken Pepperoncini Cheese Steaks are loaded with slow-cooked, tangy chicken, pepperoncini, and melted cheese, all topped on a toasted roll.
I love sandwiches. All kinds of sandwiches. There’s something about bread, meat, cheese, and veggies that satisfies all the textural components of a well-balanced bite. That’s why a warm, toasted roll piled high with tangy chicken, veggies, and melted cheese on top is so awesome!
Enter: Slow Cooker Chicken Pepperoncini Cheese Steaks. These easy-to-make, slow cooker sandwiches are the answer to feeding my family a delicious, comforting meal in the middle of my kids’ busy baseball season. These are not entirely made in the slow cooker because no one wants the mushy texture slow cookers give to vegetables, but the extra step of sauteing the veggies is definitely worth it!
I do like the regular Chicken Philly Cheese Steaks I make in the slow cooker, but after I made them with a jar of pepperoncinis, there was no going back. The pepperoncinis and their juice give the chicken a tangy, slightly vinegary flavor that really boosts plain old chicken. Whatever you do, do not get rid of the cooking liquid; it’s liquid gold! Not only does it provide great flavor, it keeps the meat nice and moist. If you have any leftover meat, make sure you save the juices, too.
This recipe makes a lot, about 8-10 sandwiches depending on how many chicken breasts are used and how big the rolls are that you use. We love to have them for leftovers the next day where the only effort involved is throwing them under the broiler! I hope you love them as much as we do!
Looking for a new sandwich recipe? Try these favorites: Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches with Home Hot Giardiniera – these Chicago favorites are absolutely amazing and made from scratch! Turkey & Avocado Tortas with Chipotle Aioli use up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and are a great way to change things up from boring leftovers!
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (16oz) jar sliced pepperoncini with juice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- cheese slices
- hoagie rolls
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and pepper on top. Pour jar of pepperoncinis and all the juice over the top of chicken breasts and toss in a bay leaf. Cook on "low" for 4 hours.
- During last 15 or so minutes, saute onion and bell pepper in butter until softened. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, and more butter if needed, and saute until done.
- Shred chicken breasts and mix in with the pepperoncini juices from the slow cooker. Add sauteed veggies to the chicken mixture.
- Make cheese steak sandwiches by topping hoagie buns with meat and your favorite sliced cheese, then put under broiler until cheese is melted.