Mexican Bean Dip is a cheesy, bean dip loaded with ground beef, Mexican spices, jalapeno, and diced tomatoes. It’s the perfect warm dip for your next party or football game!
This recipe for Mexican Bean Dip is a made-from-scratch, delicious dip filled with beans, cheese, seasoned ground beef, Mexican spices, and other great stuff – but there’s no
Velveeta fake cheese here! This football favorite can either be made on the stove top or in the slow cooker, but regardless of which method you choose, it’s really easy to make.
There’s a Mexican restaurant that my family goes to sometimes that serves a bean dip along with the chips and salsa. While my husband, younger son, and I are all devouring the chips and salsa, my oldest is holding the bowl of bean dip and eating it all by himself. Needless to say, he loves it. He said that it was “the best ever”, but in all reality, it was the only one that he’s ever tried. The Mexican restaurant’s version seemed like it only consisted of beans with melted cheese, so I decided to make my son a real bean dip.
I think of football when I think of dips, so I made Mexican Bean Dip to kick off this season’s first day of football. Since it was just my family eating it, I made the dip in the slow cooker and served it in individual little bowls, but if you’re having a bigger gathering, you could leave it in the slow cooker on the “warm” setting and your guests can help themselves.
After I whipped this up, I excitedly handed my son his bowl of dip and some tortilla chips and anxiously awaited his response to my version of bean dip…not only did he love it, but he said that it is “the best bean dip”. Any time a mom can make their kids something they consider “the best” is a success!
- This can be made following the directions below, or made entirely on the stove and transferred to a slow cooker and kept on the “warm” setting while serving.
- (Ground Beef Mixture)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried, minced onion
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- (Bean Mixture)
- (2) 16 oz cans refried beans
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles or jalapenos with juice
- 1½ tsp. cumin
- 1½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 2½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tbsp. pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 5 green onion stalks, sliced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Add seasonings to ground beef and cook until done. Drain grease and add meat to slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker to "high" and add beans, seasonings, and cheese to the meat in the slow cooker. Stir every couple minutes until cheese is melted, then add the tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, and jalapenos. When heated through and cheese has fully melted, turn the heat to the "warm" setting and serve or put the lid on and people can help themselves from the slow cooker.