Easy Homemade Salsa is what I’ve been told, “The best salsa ever!”. Whether it’s the best salsa ever is up to you, but it’s darn near perfect in my book. Read on to learn why my secret ingredient makes this easy and delicious!
Whenever I make Mexican food at home like The Best Carne Asada, enchiladas, burritos, or Fajita Burrito Bowls, I always make Easy Homemade Salsa and guacamole to accompany it. My whole family loves this spicy salsa, even the kids. In fact, whenever I make it for guests that come over for dinner, they always ask for the recipe. I’ve never given it out – until now!
The secret to my Easy Homemade Salsa recipe is…Rotel. Rotel is a magical can of diced tomatoes, green chiles, and spices. I have tried making this salsa with other (cheaper) brands of canned, diced tomatoes & green chiles, but it is never as good, you really do have to use Rotel.
Easy Homemade Salsa is so easy to make, anyone can do it. Simply add the ingredients to a food processor. That’s it. One great thing about this recipe is that you can make it whenever you want since you don’t have to rely on the availability or quality of fresh tomatoes.
I use different Rotel varieties depending on how spicy I want the salsa to be. While this recipe is for a spicy version, you can easily adjust it to suit your personal spice level. One of my kids isn’t a big fan of spicy food, but he is always begging me to make this for him. When I do, it doesn’t last long!
For a milder, less spicy version, read below.
- Depending on the size of your food processor, you may need to make this in two batches.
- I pulse the onion and garlic before adding the Rotel to preserve some of the texture of the tomatoes. Also, I use a food processor instead of a blender because it gives the salsa a great texture that you can’t get from a bender.
- To make a less-spicy version, replace the two cans of Rotel Hot, for either two cans of Rotel Mild or Rotel Original.
- Use any combination of Rotel Mild, Original, and Hot to create the perfect spice level for you.
- If I can’t find Rotel Hot in the store, I add one or two fresh jalapenos to the onion and garlic in the food processor and use four cans of Rotel Original.
- ½ yellow onion, rough chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1¼ cup cilantro leaves
- (2) 10oz cans Rotel (Original), drained
- (2) 10oz cans Rotel (Hot), drained
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Add onion, garlic, and cilantro to food processor. Pulse until onion and garlic is broken down and not in big chunks. Add Rotel, salt & pepper, and pulse until ingredients are fully blended and incorporated.
- Serve or refrigerate for later.