Curried Chicken Pitas with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce are fresh and healthy pita sandwiches with little patties made of delicious, curry-spiced ground chicken, hummus, veggies, and a homemade cucumber yogurt sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My husband and I love Greek/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food. Whether we dine out in a restaurant or I’m cooking it at home, we probably eat it 2-3 times a week. Some of our favorites that I make are: grilled meat and vegetable kabobs served with naan bread, or veggie hummus wraps that have either a super soft pita bread or a spinach wrap that’s slathered with hummus, fresh vegetables, and feta cheese, or there’s my personal favorite, Mediterranean burrito bowls that have either Basmati or Jasmine rice, Middle Eastern Salad Shirazi, grilled chicken, and hummus.
I decided to switch things up, and since both my husband and I love curry, I created Curried Chicken Pitas with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce. In keeping with my healthy sandwich/pita idea, I decided to use ground chicken breast to make the curry-spiced chicken patties because it’s really lean and takes on whatever flavors you throw at it, in this case: garlic, ginger, onion, jalapeno, scallions, curry powder, and other spices.
These chicken patties have a lot of warm, earthy spices in addition to a slight heat from the jalapeno, so I thought a creamy cucumber yogurt sauce was in order. Perfect pairing if I say so myself!
My method for making the cucumber yogurt sauce varies from a traditional tzatziki in a couple different ways. A traditional tzatziki usually has grated cucumber, uses a thicker type of Greek yogurt, and it generally contains dill. I love the crunch of cucumber in this dip, so I chop mine. I also prefer a thinner Greek yogurt, so I use Chobani Non-Fat Greek Yogurt. It gives the sauce a less tart, creaminess that I prefer in this specific meal. I’m also not a big fan of dill, so out it went. If you enjoy dill, feel free to go crazy with it!
You could stuff these Curried Chicken Pitas with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce with anything you want, but my favorites are: pickled turnips (the beautiful bright pink sticks), feta cheese, Spicy Chipotle Hummus, spinach, romaine, onions, and any other veggies you want. I always add a couple dashes of sumac on top because it’s pretty, and well, I love sumac. I like to serve these pitas with a fresh green salad and a bright salad dressing like Dijon Chive Vinaigrette.
Flavorful Eats is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- When forming these patties, you will notice that they are a lot softer and harder to shape than a ground beef patty would be when making burgers. That’s normal!
- For both the chicken and the cucumber yogurt sauce, I used a Microplane to grate the garlic, and I also used it to grate the onion in my patties, too. If you don’t have a Microplane, you need one! I use it for zesting lemon in desserts, grating parmesan over spaghetti, and for grating garlic and onion when I need the flavor, but not the texture. You can get one here from Amazon. They’re inexpensive and a must-have in my kitchen!
- For the flavors to come out, it’s best to make the cucumber yogurt sauce at least a couple hours in advance.
- *For Cucumber Yogurt Sauce*
- (2) 5.3oz cups of Chobani Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- ⅓ cup chopped English cucumber
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- black pepper
- *For Curry-Spiced Chicken Patties*
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1 tbsp. minced jalapeno
- 1 tbsp. grated onion
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 egg
- 1½ tbsp. sliced scallions
- 3 tbsp. Italian breadcrumbs
- 1½ tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¾ tsp. salt
- black pepper
- pinch of white pepper
- 6 pita halves (They come round with a perforated line. One pita breaks into 2 halves)
- ½-3/4 cup of hummus (I use my Spicy Chipotle Hummus)
- Fresh veggies
- Several hours to a day in advance, prepare the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce by adding all ingredients to a bowl and refrigerate.
- For the Curry-Spiced Chicken Patties:
- Preheat oven to 350. Add all ingredients to a large bowl. (I like to wear gloves) Combine all the ingredients and form into 6 patties. Place patties on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 28-30 minutes or cooked through.
- Spread hummus on the inside walls of the pita. Fill with chicken, cucumber yogurt sauce, and whatever fresh veggies you like.