Caprese Chicken Foil Packet Dinners are foil packets filled with chicken, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and grape tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then baked in the oven. They’re so good and so easy to make!
As a kid, my mom would make a dinner called “Chicken in the Garden”. I loved it. She would take large sheets of foil and topped them with uncooked rice, a bone-in chicken breast, an assortment of vegetables, a splash of worcestershire sauce, and some salt & pepper. She would wrap each one up into a little package. It was so fun to open up the foil packet, let the steam escape, and see what was inside. It was like a little gift.
My mom hasn’t made Chicken in the Garden in eons so I had totally forgotten all about it until recently. A couple weeks ago that nostalgic dish popped into my mind and with it came a flurry of ideas using foil packets as a vehicle for my dinner ideas. I did what I love to do, take something I love and put a spin on it, so I created Caprese Chicken Foil Packet Dinners from my mom’s Chicken in the Garden.
Caprese in a recipe means that it includes mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes. I also drizzled a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for another level of Italian flavors.
I don’t know what I love most about these Caprese Chicken Foil Packet Dinners. One, they taste so good! The chicken is super moist because it’s trapped in a foil packet with its friends balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and mozzarella. The grape tomatoes are perfectly cooked and add a beautiful color to the meal, then basil joins the party to add some freshness and a quintessential Italian flavor. Another thing I love about this meal is how easy it is to prepare. It’s as simple as topping foil with the all the ingredients, folding up the edges, and throwing it in the oven for hands-off cooking. Lastly, these are highly customizable. Your kids don’t like tomatoes? Omit the tomato in their packets. Add some red pepper flakes if you want spicy…make them your own! FYI: these packets will create lots of juices. Don’t drain them! If you transfer your chicken to a dish to eat, pour the juices over the top. Enjoy!
Ideas for Caprese Chicken Foil Packet Dinners:
- Serve atop some buttered noodles
- Grill the foil packets on the grill
- Take them camping and cook over a fire
Looking for another chicken recipe? Try the marinade for my Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken. The flavorful chicken makes the best tacos, burritos, and burrito bowls with The Best Mexican Rice, black beans, salsa, and avocado or guacamole.
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced or cubed
- salt & pepper
- 6 grape tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves, sliced
- dash of dried oregano
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- splash of olive oil
- shredded mozzarella (as much as you desire)
- Tear out a large sheet of foil. Place sliced chicken in the middle, season liberally with salt and pepper. Top chicken with tomatoes, basil, oregano, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and as much mozzarella cheese you want. Wrap the foil into a present, crimping the sides, leaving room for air.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Eat out of foil packet, or transfer chicken and juices from packet to a plate. Add additional salt & pepper as needed, and feel free to top with more fresh basil.