Avocado Toast with Harissa Scrambled Eggs is a healthy, delicious breakfast made with avocado-topped toast, harissa scrambled eggs, and a grating of some fresh cotija cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I first tried avocado toast about three years ago. I can remember exactly when it was because my husband was deployed, which meant I was exercising more and eating better so I could look extra good for his homecoming! It was the beginning of the avocado toast phenomena and everyone, health-conscious or not, was eating it. The first time I tried it, I made it very simple with only smashed avocado and salt & pepper. It was decent, but totally overrated. Later, (probably after he got home from deployment!) I added a fried egg on top. That was better, but it was still just ok…until now. Everything changed with Avocado Toast with Harissa Scrambled Eggs.
Being the self-proclaimed and husband-appointed condiment queen that I am, I have been experimenting with a jar of harissa lately. Harissa is a Moroccan condiment made with chile peppers, red bell pepper, garlic, oil, and vinegar. It can be mild or spicy. It’s a wonderful dip/sauce that I’ve been adding to things that I would normally use hot sauce in or something that needs a nice pop of flavor. After noticing that I had a super ripe avocado on the counter, I got a crazy idea – a third attempt at avocado toast, but this time jazzed up with some harissa scrambled eggs. Well, third times a charm and the rest is history…
Everything about Avocado Toast with Harissa Scrambled Eggs is perfect because each ingredient balances each other. The crunchy toast is topped with creamy avocado, which is topped with scrambled eggs made with spicy harissa, and it’s all finished with some freshly grated cotija cheese which gives the dish a wonderful, slightly salty finish. If that isn’t enough, this vegetarian meal is also good for you. I use whole wheat toast, which is full of fiber, plus my heart-healthy avocado, topped with the goodness of eggs. Because it has eggs, I’m sure you’re totally thinking “breakfast”, but I also love to eat this for lunch with a side salad.
Flavorful Eats is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Mina Harissa comes in Mild Red, Spicy Red, and Spicy Green. I am in love with Mina Harissa Spicy Red and you can get one here from Amazon.
- I have made this with both smashed avocado and little 2-ounce cups of Wholly Guacamole. You can’t go wrong with either choice. One mini cup of Wholly Guacamole will make 2 avocado toasts.
Looking for another healthy recipe? Try Mediterranean Balela Salad, a fresh chickpea salad made with lots of fresh parsley, tomato, onion, and lemon juice. It makes an excellent side to kabobs, hummus, and pita bread.
- 2 pieces of toast (I use whole wheat)
- 1 smashed avocado or a 2-oz cup of Wholly Guacamole
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. harissa
- splash of milk
- dash of garlic salt
- black pepper
- paprika (for garnish)
- cotija cheese
- Whisk eggs, harissa, milk, garlic salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Pour the egg mixture into a nonstick skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cook on medium to med-high heat for 5-7 minutes (stirring frequently) or until the eggs have cooked through.
- Take your freshly toasted bread and slather the avocado/guacamole on each piece. Top with harissa scrambled eggs. Sprinkle a little paprika on the eggs, grate cotija cheese over everything and eat immediately.